Single-ply thermoplastic polyolefin (TPO) membranes have gained in popularity in recent years, including the use of fleece-back TPO membranes. Fleece-back membranes have been used in the commercial and industrial roofing industry for adhered and mechanically fastened applications over a wide variety of surfaces, and they are gaining traction as an efficient, durable alternative to other membranes.
What are the benefits of fleece-reinforced TPO membranes?
- Adaptability: They can be applied over a number of existing commercial roof systems and deck types, including a dry, smooth, built-up asphalt roof. Fleece-back membranes work well over abrasive surfaces like granule-surfaced membranes.
- High-performing: Fleece-back TPO membranes carry the same 20-year warranties as other membrane systems. As a thicker system, they can be more durable than other membranes in storms, including strong winds and hail that we experience in Northeast Ohio.
- Ease of use: Fleece-back TPO membranes can be mechanically fastened using glue with low-rise adhesives. They can also be fully adhered using conventional adhesives.
- Clean: Fleece-back TPO is much cleaner than a hot tar roof. Black tar has a tendency to spread over the sheet.
- Odor-free: Commercial building owners and facility managers appreciate that fleece-back membranes don’t stink the way other materials can—a strong advantage!
See Related Article: The Pros and Cons of TPO in Commercial Roofing
Are there any restrictions of the fleece-back TPO membrane?
There are no major drawbacks of using a fleece-back TPO for the right applications. Just be aware of the following restrictions:
- Can only be applied over one-layer roofs that have been sufficiently prepped and cleared of loose debris
- Underlayment can’t be wet or contain saturated insulation
- Must have a minimum temperature of 40⁰F for proper glue adhesion to occur
Is a fleece-back TPO membrane more expensive than other membranes?
Yes, they are more expensive than their non-fleece-back counterparts.
Do you have questions about whether a fleece-back TPO membrane is right for your commercial or industrial roofing job? At Roberts Roofing, we’re always happy to answer your questions.
Roberts Roofing Company has been a leading provider of innovative commercial and industrial roofing solutions in Cleveland, Ohio since 1981. We provide commercial and industrial roof repair, replacement and maintenance to serve companies of all sizes in Ohio and the surrounding region, offering a combination of technical expertise, custom solutions and quality workmanship for every project.
To find out more about selecting a commercial or industrial roofing contractor in Cleveland, Ohio, simply fill out the form on this page and a member of our team will be in touch. Or, you may call us at (440) 946-2233.